<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Saturday, June 28, 2003

Wash Cloths 2, Marcy 0 

Tis a sad day, indeed, when two washcloths can take on, and soundly whup the ass of a middle-aged, fairly experienced knitting woman (and no coward, this one, the mother of a teen and a toddler).

Having finished the back of my lacey tunic with nothing immediate to work on (had to ball up a huge sausage thangy of yarn before I could start the front ) I needed something quick to click. Recently there'd discussion, in my internet world, about knitting washcloths. I don't care much for knitting washcloths. Some ignoramus tried to teach me knitting on that diagonal YO (yawn over) beast, years ago. I still hear the howl of wolves when I see sugar n cream yarn. ::For the record, I believe that the yawn over dishrag has no business on the project docket of a beginning knitter. :: Having really enjoyed the recent, currently unavailable challenge of the lacey tunic pattern, I had a hankering to continue some delicate detail work.

I pulled out "Knitter's Stash" (Edited by Barbara Albright) and a hank of cotton and commenced to knit up a dragon scale facecloth (great exfoliant, I reckoned). After commencing and recommencing, I lost the fight, TKO, round 3. The loss due to several things, such as I couldn't keep track of the M1's, I didn't know what the pattern was supposed to look like, I couldn't easily discriminate between the knitted SSK, k2tg without a poking around the back of those tiny stitches. I forged onward, believing that after a few rows, the mystery of the pattern would reveal itself to me. It didn't.

Eventually I realized I was fussing, sweating and cursing over a dang washcloth that if completed would likely be eaten by my labrador and end up in the back yard, maybe to be eaten again (my dog eats poop). So, I let go, let God..blah blah and decided to try the Seed-Stitch striped cloth from the same book.

Although the seed-stitch stripe was definitely an easier pattern, the sequence didn't get downloaded properly into my pea brain, and I ended up having to frog after three rows. On the next try, a misplaced knit stitch caused the pattern to end up a smarmy mishmash of seed-stitch here, moss stitch there and a remnant of a ridge every where. I finally charted the pattern on graph paper (this was no longer about getting a washrag, this was war!) and successfully completed 8 rows of the pattern. At this point I noticed that my yarn was pilling and the stitches loose. I frogged with finality. I've washed my face of it.

Labels: ,





Comments: Post a Comment