<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Friday, July 18, 2003

Reading the Labels 

Queer Joe's and The Knitting Curmudgeon are high on my list of daily blog reads. Both bloggers appear to be knitters of high caliber, with seemingly uncompromising (and admirable) standards for the art. One also gets the impression that neither of them suffers any fool, gladly or otherwise.

Now that I've greased up my nose a bit, there's this thing that's been bugging me for weeks: What's a KnitDweeb?

In lieu of asking either of these individuals directly for a definition of KnitDweeb (I was afraid, okay? Afraid that asking meant automatic, KnitDweeb categorical inclusion), I googled.

Here's the Curmudgeon's definition of KnitDweeb per her July 30, 2002 blog entry: "They are the dimbulbs (or f**kwits, if you will, to use an earthier expression) that own every knitting book published, buy every stupid knitting tschatske, spend thousands every year on cheap yarn and needles...and never master much of anything except garter stitch. And are forever populating the lists asking questions whose answers can be found in the list FAQ or at the back of any knitting magazine."

Whew. Nothing in the definition about a KnitDweeb not knowing their true identity.

In a socially balanced, knitworthy society, I think there should be more than two social categories ( 1. KnitDweeb 2. KnitEveryoneElse). In case this labeling concept is ever expanded, I'm proposing a couple of ideas for possible categories:
KnitJocks:Knitters who knit and walk at the same time. On purpose.
KnitStoner: Recognized mostly for the quality and quanity of his/her "stash." Lots of imported stuff.

I don't think there is a need for a KnitPrep definition. I'm pretty sure they're, like, closet knitters, totally.

While doing my research (as any ethical bloggist should) I came upon a particularly hilarious archived post at the Knitting Curmudgeon (see March 15, The New HariKari). I was laughing so loud, the dog came barkning to my rescue.

Knitting in the Pink (as any good piggy ought)
I finished the first half of the front of the cardie from Vintage Knits (Sarah Dallas). The pictures aren't great, but my batteries died and I couldn't redo in daylight.

I altered the pattern a bit. Instead of adding pockets, I broke up the ridge pattern with a small chunk of stockinette, the middle of which will go a button. For the purpose of illustration, I probably should've used a sample button of a different color.




I'm making some tentative plans for knitting Christmas gifts. I found a free pattern for this cool, tres MTV RealWorld Paris type hat called The London Beanie at Knit Happens.

I asked my almost 17 year old son if he'd be interested in said gear. He crinkled his nose. I pointed out that sometimes it's good to have a hat, in Michigan, in the winter. He said he has a hat. I cajoled some more (I usually know better) and he finally said "Mom, I would not wear that hat."

I'm typically thick skinned when it comes to adolescent fickle. But in this case, I was truly perplexed.

You see, my son is a sagger. He sags at school, home and even on the basketball court. At his games last season, I could hardly pay attention because I was constantly worried that his pants were going to fall down.

Whenever he made a shot, I would stand and cheer. These weren't, however, cheers of pride. They were selfish cheers. Cheers of relief. Cheers of gratefulness. Gratefulness that his pants didn't fall down in this moment of glory, with all eyes upon him.

Back to the hat. It's very difficult for me to accept and respect a fashion critique from someone whose pants are falling down. Word Out.

Cute baby story: My 21-month old daughter is currently enamoured with two small stuffed animals. A monkey and a cow. Tonight she put the cow on the monkey's head and said "hat." "Cow hat."

I've pretty much covered two days worth of posts here, so I likely won't be around for a couple of days.

Labels: ,





Comments: Post a Comment