<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Friday, August 15, 2003

Good Day to Dye 

In a couple of weeks, I have to go back to work. Actually, I have a 7:30am meeting next week. The following day is a mandatory inservice day. That makes summer prit' near over.

One of my goals for the summer was to try my hand at dying yarn. The Kool-Aid method seemed to me the best choice for a dyeing maiden voyage.

But for some reason, this task grew monumental in my head. Even though I really wanted to do it, I put it off, week after week. ::Well, I think I have an idea why I put off this experiment some days. It required a clean kitchen.::

With today being the last day of my last full week of summer break, I thought it a good day to dye.

Oh Man, did I have fun....
I done dyed and gone to heaven.

I tried the stovetop method and the microwave. The first time I used stovetop method (as described in article) the dye was absorbed inconsistently and I had significant splotches on one hank, which left the other hank a little light in luminosity. A clear example of the "haves" vs. "have nots."

I solved that problem in the next batch by having nearly all the water in the pot before adding the yarn, which is different from the directions, which direct to add most of the water after yarn is in the pot. The second batch turned out much better, but there was still some mild unevenness in color. I think the yarn closest to the heat source absorbed the dye faster.

The microwave method seemed to be the cleanest and results were more consistent.

And may I present to you.....The Misses Lemon Lime, Blue Raspberry Lemonade and Strawberry Kiwi something.


I hung them to dry from a little tree in the front yard. Cotton candy hobgoblins, wilting in the hot mug.



Today's candilicious product will be crafted into the illustrious Suki. I am so stoked to get going on this, I had to distract my brain from fanticizing methods for fast drying wool.

Sukisukisukisukisukisukisuki Suuuu! That's from a song from back in the day. I always hear it when I see name "Suki." I can't for the life of me remember who sang it or even what song it was from. I do remember drunk people liking to sing it real loud at parties.

On Wednesday, my stash delish arrived from the Threadbear Fiber Arts Studio This is Cascade Indulgence in Kiwi.


I'm thinking a simple, elegant turtle something for the Indulgence. I've sent for the Classic Elite pattern on the back of recent VK, for consideration anyway. I also like the Bohemian turtle in VK Fall, but I'd have to mess with the gauge a bit. I like to mess around, but I don't necessarily like to mess.

I'm tired.
Dying takes alot out of a person.




Comments: Post a Comment