<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Saturday, September 20, 2003

Shawl Shell Redemption?
I'm playing in the Wave Shell Shawl Knit-along with the kids over at Rachael's.

For those who remember or wonder about anything remotely knitty around this place:
The Nantucket
I stuck it.


Although I had already tinkered with the idea of temporary abandonment, I was easily lead to the decision by a kind commenter (Barbara, I believe) who dittied me permission to put it away until spring.

I'm knitting the shawl (I consider it more of a wrap) out of white Indulgence I purchased from The Thread Bears. It was a steal at 9 bucks/skein, normally $18.

I know I've typed incessantly about this "stuff", but knitting with it is even more decadent than "feeling up" the skein. The sickness evolves.

Thursday night I worked on the wrap for a couple of hours, then put it out of Danger Mouse range (not to be confused with Danger Girl ) on the snack bar in the kitchen. As I was leaving for work the following morning, I saw the "stuff" sitting there and experienced a strong emotional reaction to the thought of leaving it behind. So I stuffed the "stuff" in a brown sack and took it with me, for the sole purpose of having it near.

It's almost like having an attachment to a "blankie" (or "get" per The Cakers), only more adult. The tactile expression of the "stuff" as fabric is truly indecent. Between tasks or during phone calls at work, I fondled it in the bag, all day.

I've become a pervert. And I am not ashamed.

Here's a wrap on the wrap as of Thursday evening. I've added about two inches since then, but no time/energy/battery reserves to update photo.




And the obligatory close-up:


The pattern is easy (and fast on size 10's) but (of course) I've done some frogging and tinking*, mostly because of relative interference. There's a four-inch garter border, and I practically giggle with relief at the end of every row when the pattern ends where the border begins.

The wrap is intended for my mom, as a Christmas gift. I'm not a shawl/wrap person, but I'm foreseeing some difficulties giving this up in the end.

A little wave.
A little shell.
With perverse Indulgence,
I'm going to hell.

*Tink is Knit spelled backwards, denotes "unknitting" stitch by stitch, as opposed to Frogging, which represents "rip it" which sounds like "rib-bit". This is Yahoo Knitlist lingo, although it may be more universal. But I wouldn't know. I don't get out much.



Comments: Post a Comment