<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Monday, September 29, 2003

Sing a Song of Shell Shawls
Rachael's done with her Shave along Wawl, and it's beautiful. She's not only done, but the piece has already been gifted to its intended designee (I'm sorry, Grammar warriors, if that is redundant. And if so, I apologize).

I'm almost envious of Rachael, because I'm not even half done with my shawl. But I'm also wondering if she's maybe almost envious of me, as well. Because I still have about 35 inches of Indulgence to play with before it's over.

In matters of knitting, size matters. But when it comes to matters of knitting with Indulgence, I'm enjoying a slow hand.

Back to Work
The school year almost always starts off a bit slow for me. It usually takes a few weeks for the pooh to start flying and the need for my services evident (the need is always there, just not always evident). ::for the record, I'm a mental health type servicing sp. ed. students in school environment::

One of my favorite things about my job is the opportunity to work magic between a student who is wreaking havoc in the classroom and the teachers who want to throttle him.

Last Friday I facilitated a meeting between such a student, his teachers and his mom. The stated goal of the meeting was to design a behavior plan to address the behaviors in question. The outcome of the meeting was an improved, mutual understanding and appreciation between the teachers and student, and a decision that a behavior plan was not necessary. ::I love it when a good plan doesn't come together::

Of course this is just a thumbnail. I'll just say that sometimes my job is a beautiful thing. This was one of those times.

Also last Friday, on the heels of a beautiful thing, I was thrust into a seamier, uglier place. The place where politics, lawyers, budgetary restraints, fear, pathology and heartbreak collide. I became an unwitting cog in a machine of questionable efficacy and purpose, amidst the undeniable stench of big dawgs pissing territorial.

As nasty as the latter scenario is (and likely to worsen), I wouldn't have my job any other way.

Without ugly, beauty is just a thang.




Comments: Post a Comment