<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Monday, October 27, 2003

Things that Frost My Muffin on a Monday Morning
It's a crazy time at work right now. It's the end of the first marking period and the end of the month (I have to log a specific number of client contacts per month and the last week is ketchup time). It doesn't help that I took a sick day last week and lately have had to attend an inordinate amount of time-sucking meetings.

Additional time swipes this week include a half-day in-service on Thursday (no students, but more meetings) and Friday we have off. Of course, having a day off should be nothing to complain about, but on this particular Monday, the thought of Friday off only adds to the stress and pressure. The school schedule is unforgiving.

I work in a high school guidance office, and sometimes college recruiters bring the counselors and secretaries yummy treats for all their troubles. Today's treat was a bag of bagels and flavored cream cheese.

While waiting for a late appointment, I fixed myself a toasty snack, which included a thick slathering of a caramelly flavored cream cheese. I wolfed the whole thing down, standing in the break room. No one was the wiser. So I thought.

After I finished my snack, I scooted downstairs to the mailroom to check for incoming and scooted back up to my office, where my next adolescent challenge awaited. He's one of my favorite kids. An upperclassman. Intense, passionate and an over-thinker. On a good day, he's a joy. On a bad day...well... thankfully he doesn't have many of those anymore.

Anyway, he's already sitting in my office and starts giving me crap about being late (kidding, of course, because he was the one who was late, which enabled me to dash to the mailroom). I walk past him to my desk and turn to sit down.

"Ummmm...Mrs. G. ...I don't know how to say this... ::impish grin:: ...you have something on your pants."

I look down. There on my black pants, on the front of the very most crotchety place, at the most holy apex, is a quarter-size blobble of caramelly cream cheese.

Omigod.

In a high school,
Filled with teenagers,
I've been walking the halls
Foaming at the crotch.

As The Cakers would say "Oh, May-n!"

I wiped it off with a tissue, said "how embarrassing" and neither of us spoke of it again. I did, however, have a moment of regret over the waste of a perfectly good caramelly cream cheese blob.

Active Aran
I took this shot of The Cakers a couple of weeks ago and found it on a recent camera purge. This is Falick's Baby Aran pattern. It's gotten plenty of action over the past year. And I wish I had made it a little longer.



This is the finished back of the Minnies seed stitch cardie. I finished the front left last night. It's going fast but the seed stitch is tedious.



The Knitter Barney Fife Can Dream, Can't He?
I received my Interweave Knits in the mail today. There are some incredibly beautiful, texture rich pieces in this edition. I especially love the Stop-Traffic Circles by Kristin Nicholas. I know I could pull this one off, if only I could send Barney Fife on a 6-month sabbatical. What I love about this pattern is that the color work uses only two colors but the chain stitch embroidery gives the appearance of more intricate color detail. I love that kind of chit. And I do know how to chain stitch.

My other favorite is the Smocking on the Move by Teva Durham. I love the asymmetrical sleeve patterns. I looked over the pattern and think I could manage that one too...if Barney takes an extension on his leave.

Oh May-n! Daylight Wasting Time just caught up with me. I gotta get to bed. My apologies. I can't even muster a cheesy signoff.






Comments: Post a Comment