<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Monday, December 29, 2003

Post Holiday Debt
Not the kind you're thinking.

We paid for Christmas with cash only this year. Not personal checks. Green stuff. It was kind of weird seeing the pile of bills disappear, but I must admit that paying cash offered me a healthy, realistic appreciation of my hard earned wages. But that wasn't going to be my point here.

My post-holiday debt is gifts. Gifts I owe. Knitted gifts.

My older sister's birthday is on Christmas Day. While growing up and as a young adult, she was typically gypped out of distinctly recognizable birthday celebrations. Friends and kin alike would often skip the birthday gift, spend a little extra on a Christmas gift and call it a combo deal.

While convenient for the giver (I know because I'm guilty), this practice lacked the special recognition that most deserved on a most special day. This is particularly true for my big sister (I have two sisses, you've mostly heard of my younger) who is a selfless sweetie and a genuine, from the heart giver.

I now make a point, every year, to give big sister a distinctly birthday gift, wrapped in birthday paper, on her birthday. I've been doing so for 25 years. Until now.

I was on "last minute" target with knitting her a pair of wrist warmers, from Falick's Weekend Knitting book. It seemed an easy enough task until I got to the end of the first one and realized that it just wasn't wide enough. I added a couple of rows, which put "seam" towards the middle of the hand instead of the side and it was noticable. Yuck.

The extra rows should have been added before the thumb hole, which is made way in the beginning. I started the second piece, with the correct changes in all the right places, but ran out of time. So I gave her the yuck mitt, with a heart felt apology.

I also showed her this scarf in process, and asked if she would be interested. She loved it. (Scarf is Woolpak Lilac and Lion Brand eyelash).



The scarf didn't match the intended wrist warmers, however. So on my day of stinkin' knittin', I came up with a new plan.

What plan? A plan of power.
What power? The power of Voodoo.
Who do? She do.



The Voodoo's yarn is also Wool-pak 8 ply in Lilac (I know, it looks blue). I gave them a little hot water scrub to fluff them up a bit.

Who am I kidding? I fluffed them up a bit to obfuscate my gnarly ribbing. And it worked.

I also thought I'd give Cheddar some positive press by posting a non-pathetic shot of him.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, I know I Owe Some Mo'
This week I also hope to finish Mother- in- Law's turtle neck and a hat for my father-in-law.
And a scarf for me.


Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to knit I go.



Comments: Post a Comment