<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Monday, April 26, 2004

All Along the Swatchtower
As weekend's go, this past had a low-grade, stealthlike suckinola thing going. Nothing significant to overdramatize or reenact. Just a low grade suckiness that didn't really hit me until I was getting ready for bed last night.

I didn't get much done in knitting. Nothing to show anyway. Last week I bought a gorgeous black chemise for work. Because it has tiny blue polka-dot-esque threads running through it, I thought it could be casualized with my new jean jacket. I thought wrong.

Now I need a little sweater to complete my little chemise-chemise cocoa bop. Something brief and light, with appropriate context. Something like this cover piece from Rowan 25, which is also offered in my current fave pattern compilation A Treasury of Rowan Knits

The pattern calls for a cotton 4-ply (I know, yuck) which I ended up getting in Jaeger. I bet I swatched for this pattern 9 times over the weekend. I wasn't even swatching for gauge, yet. In fact, I never even put a measuring tool to any creation. I never measured one freakin' stitch. It took me 9 times just to get the pattern right.

When I finally got it, I didn't even know. It was late Saturday when I finished quasi-swatch #9. Then I went to bed. A sight with sore eyes, all yarn-weary and lacey-brained.

When I picked up the swatch again come Sunday morning, I had every intention of smiting it mightily, with a final vengeance. Until I saw that I that I had, indeed, got it. "Got it" as in got it right. Correcto Mundo. Superb. Parfait. Crap. I sez.

You see, I had already abandoned the project in my mind. It was undoable. Now that it's once again doable, I had to make a choice. I hate choice. In a situation such as this, I prefer hopeless and dead-end despairity to highly possible given the right amount of attitude/skill/ balls/booze/ignorance.....

Part of me said I should proceed with the pattern because I have the yarn, I now have the pattern down and it's the perfect sweater for my specific need.

Another part of me then perpetrated a colossal smack down upon that self-righteous, super-egotic, sniveling know-it-all and went online to order a white crocheted number from Eddie Bauer.

Now what the hell am I gonna do with 9 skeins of white four-ply cotton? yuck.




Comments: Post a Comment