<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Friday, April 30, 2004

When your swatch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the swatch-tinker. The former is the quickest.- A Knit-twitted Perversion of Mark Twain

On my recent day
With hurly girly,
I had the chance
To knit and purly

Between green gills
And belly cries,
I swatched until
I crossed my eyes.

I have some friends,
(My blog they read)
Sayin' "Boss the swatch,
"Until you bleed."

Alas, no piece
Was meant to be.
Alas, no peace
Was meant for me.

Then deep I dug,
Within the bin
Of perfect skeins
(Oh, Perfect Sin!).

Ideas soon gathered,
To have a party.
They yelled "Jetez!
For Annie's Cardie!"

So another project
Was now beholden,
To another swatch,
On Viscose golden.

But in wee hours,
When one should sleep.
I frog once more,
Before I weep.

The whole kaboodle
Was put away.
Malignant shame
Now rules my day.

Poetry Interpretation:
I tried the lace swatch again, and it worked. I cast on for the lace cardigan sweater and it didn't work. And it didn't work again. So I swatched for a couple different lace patterns, but either I couldn't get gauge or I didn't like it.

Then I dug out this vintage viscose cotton stuff (in a fleshy color I can only describe as Bernadette Peters). Swatching gears altogether, I set my sights on Annie Modesitte's Ballet Neck Cardie from Interweave Knits. I cast on all 170-something stitches, gartered two rows, found a garish, lumpy thing in my cast-on row, cussed like an abandoned Anchor's Aweigh project, ripped it out and went to bed.

I've now developed that manicky, panicky, suckity knitattitude that I get now and again. It happens when I have too many projects going on, both in and outside of my brain. For me, too many projects begets thoughts of too many more projects, which begets thoughts of, well, I think you begetting the idea....

Just like my teen and my toddler and even my husband need ever now and again; I need to be reined in.

Action Plan:
Tonight, I cast on for the back piece of the Anchor's Aweigh. I will not start any major projects until I am done with that sweater. I do, however, reserve the right to make my mother a Booga Bag for Mother's Day.

"Would you like to go upstairs?"
"Is there a TV up there? I like to Swatch......"
-A Knit-twitted Perversion of a line from Being There





Comments: Post a Comment