<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Thursday, June 10, 2004

Wind Chillin'
Wednesday at 1:00 pm, we left Grand Rapids stewing in its hot and humid juices. As we moved north, our car thermometer indicated slowly declining temperatures, but nothing to raise concern. 15 miles from the cottage, it was still 70 degrees outside. But as we turned onto the cottage trail, the reading was 59 degrees. From inside the cottage, the view looked something like this:



Being Michigan born and bred (shouldn't that be bred and born?) we know to expect nothing but the unexpected when it comes to weather. So what does one do in Northern Michigan, in June, in the shivery rain? Why, one goes to the canoe livery for ice cream.

Here's my favorite licker, lookin' slicker:



This was posted at the livery souvenir shop:



My first thought was that word of Ana's intemperate nature had preceded her arrival to these northern parts. Interestingly, my husband and I have identified one of her favorite tantrumic wails as The Wildcat . I showed my husband this sign and shared my interpretation. He patiently explained that the sign is intended to keep children safe from the animals and not the other way around. He then suggested that I may be a bit high strung from recent stresses and thought that an evening of rum and diet coke was in order.

This morning the weather was still crappy but it cleared up later in the day so Ana and Daddy and Cheddar enjoyed some beach time. Well, by "cleared up" I mean it stopped raining and the temperature almost broke 68 degrees.

So, what was I doing while the rest of the family giggled and wiggled on the beautiful shore? I knit the garter stitch. Over and over and over. In fact, I finished yet another garter square while watching the fam splash and play. Shortly after binding off, I ran into the cottage for something, and out the front window I see this:



That's a neighbor's pup with garter square #14 in his mouth.

Soon after, I tried to reason with my husband that perhaps the puppy drool was a sign that the garter stitch afghan was not meant to be. He wasn't too square with that idea.

I'm gonna try to do a little jogging before nightfall. More tomorrow....


Disclaimer: This post was not thoroughly proofed.

Labels: , ,





Comments: Post a Comment