<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Saturday, July 09, 2005

Beads of Inspiration 

Yesterday I took The Cakers to a beading party at my sister’s house. ::My sister makes jewelry out of beads, and to support her habit, she holds gatherings where people come to her house and make their own beaded jewelry.::

I was kind of skeptical about how The Cakers was going to handle herself, because when it comes to activities involving sitting, my girl has the attention span of a flea.

Anyway, my worries were for naught. My Wee Wiggly Whiner sat for two hours, stringing two necklaces, and one coiled bracelet. With total creative license.



And she models, too.



Earrings are my specialty. I always make a duplicate pair for my sister to sell, and she gives me a break on the price. Earring design is not as easy as it looks. The devil's in the seed bead selection.



Hair of the Dog

Having gotten tanked earlier in the week, I've been trying my best to live up to a cleaner standard. Yesterday, however, I succumbed to the urge for a little belt. Of course, this is the leftover yarn from Bastard Nina. The stitch pattern is the same as the cross hatch scarf, found at Sheep in the City. Only smaller, of course.

This belt is my mind-free project, for when I'm watching The Cakers outdoors. It's going pretty fast, although I had to rip the entire thing out once. If you've ever used this stitch, you'll know it's a bitch to undo.

And, hell no, I'm not going to wear the belt with the matching tank top. I've never been that kind of girl.

I also finished the back of Peaches. Ain't she a fuzzy delight? It's amazing what a little following of the directions can do for a girl.


Last night, I cast on for the right front, while watching a Six Feet Under DVD. ::I'm an HBO, therefore SFU, newcomer, and am wrapping up season one on DVD, while following the final season on HBO. It's kind of interesting to watch the beginning, alongside the ending. Like Pulp Fiction. But less pulpy.::

While watching and knitting, I also entertained a couple of friends: Vern and Bicardi.

Today's knitting plans: Frog two inches and re-cast on for the right front of Peaches.

Mag Drag
I finally had a chance to get out to the book store, to pick up the Fall edition of Interweave Knits. However, after a not-so-quick perusal (I really wanted to find something I liked. I really did), I put it back. That's my first IK rejection in two years.

Earlier in the week,I picked up the new Family Circle Easy Knitting . There is some cute kid stuff (like the sock monkey sweater!) and I kind of like the textured men's v-neck, which I would make in a crew. For me.

Also in the EK, there was an article about Melissa Matthay, creator of the Yarn Co., and her rise to success. From the beginning of the article, I found the "subject" lacking in, well, substance. Or as my mother would say: “She’s kind of full of herself, ain’t she?”

However, I don't think it's entirely fair or even possible, to make an informed opinion about a person's character, based on a one-page article in a knitting magazine. So, I kept an open mind.

But when I got to the end of the article, and this Matthay quote, all doubt benefits were withdrawn: “In Manhatten I felt like a real celebrity when I saw a bag lady strolling around with my Yarn Co. shopping bag.”

Yeah, Melissa, I’m sure the bag lady was happy to oblige.



Comments: Post a Comment