<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Saturday, June 03, 2006

Picot Poo 

Please fasten your seat belts and secure your folding trays in the upright position. Knitting content ahead.

Over the holiday weekend, I had a thought to finish The Cakers' heart motif sweater. But somehow steaming and seaming seemed unseemly tasks for a four day rest, so I came up with a new project to never finish.

The pattern is Crumpets, which is designed as a dress but I'm making it into a top (a la Wendy). I'm making this adaptation because I think a top will be more practical for summer, for the following reason: In Cakers' size, the skirt section grows to a whopping 360 stitches, which in dress form needs to be 27" long. 360 stitches x 27 inches of in-the-round stockinette = my death = impractical. At least at this writing.

Here's what I have so far:



This was my first time using a picot edging, and I kinda liked it. I woulda kinda liked it better if I didn't have to cast on 180 stitches (final tally, not counting the picoted-off ones). I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the look of it so far. The picot edging looks a bit, uh, celebratory. I fear that it's going to make my daughter look like the center post of a carnival ride. ::Is it just me, or do the picot points in pink look like red rockets for chihuahuas? Click on pict for closer look.**::

The pattern itself is pretty easy but with every fourth row being all cable, all the time (180 stitches), I feel like I'm knitting a slow boat to China.

Final Days
I have three days of work before I'm off for summer break. All three of these days are already packed with important functions I must not only attend but also play a primary role in their being carried off with success.

I haven't been able to share much about my work travails this year because of the nature of my job. I can say that the year has sucked some considerable ass. Aside from huge crises, there was one slow-burn, time sucking issue I was assigned to deorchestrate, which culminated last week into a spiritual punch in the solar plexus. For a hot second, the emotional impact of this event had me thinking about requesting reassignment.

In the 8 years I've been working in this setting (hi skool) I have never doubted my purpose or ability to impact. I knew it was where I belong. That loss of essence, even temporarily, was a powerful hurt. And a surprising one.

I'm better now. Although still not in full trust mode, I'm confident that I'm where I need to be.

On a positive note, this school year I was selected to be a part of two cutting-edge county and district-wide projects. These experiences not only provided me with pleasant changes in scenery, but I also received some highly specialized training, which will be invaluable to me over the next couple of years. The latter will be particularly helpful with the next round of changes in speshul educayshun policies, which are being developed as we weep speak.

See, I can do something besides whine. And now that I have posted the perfunctory knitting content for the month, I will return to posting the usual boring, made up shit.

*For some reason, I could not come up with the word impractical and kept typing impractible. It wasn't until I was ready to publish that I realized the mistake. Blogger's spell check sucks so I never use it. It questions the word blog. Hello?

**I did not know that until last week. About clicking the pictures for closer view. I know. I've been busy, k?::



Comments: Post a Comment