<$BlogRSDUrl$>

••• Sunday, March 30, 2008

Play My Card 

Friday night, Cakers' stint as Gardener No. 3 in Alice in Wonderland, came to a rousing conclusion.

She's painting flowers here.



'Lo! The Queen approaches!



I'm guessing that's not a good thing.





When it comes to curtain call, there are no bit parts. ::Notice how she's parked herself right in front of the 5th graders.::



I kind of like the random first-gradery-ness of this shot.



I had meant to post this earlier in the weekend but every time I went to upload the pictures, I had to look at them all again. And again.

She did a great job, and I'm spittin' proud.

But now that we're a couple of days out of the hoopla, I can't stop thinking about how her world has changed so much over the last couple of years. And how I don't feel like I'm so much a part of the bulk of that world, anymore. I know that is supposed to happen. But I can't stop thinking about the kids in the pictures. Kids from all grades whom I don't know, but who know my girl.

And I don't know the play director.
But she'll know Cakers at the ice cream shop this summer. Or grocery store.

I don't know one of the costume moms, but she approached me in the hall, after the play, to say what a great job my daughter did and what a good kid.

I met the make-up mom at the cast party. A woman who touched my sweet baby's face two nights last week, without our having been formally introduced.

It's all a wonderful thing.
A world nestled in a world, kind of thing.

Right now she's just one nestle away.
I can still reach out and grab her.

But how long before I have to claw across a few Nestles of World, just to get a glimpse into those big brown eyes?

eh.

Caker Lace
Well, between all the wailing and renting and verklempting, I have managed to finish a sock.



It's kind of mangle-y. The second one is coming in a little neater, but I am afraid the first one is a little small, as it "Hurts my tooooe!"

For the record, my daughter walks this Earth on a set of designer ore barges. She's 6 years-old and her feet are 1.5 inches shorter than mine and about as wide.

Anyway. Now that I know that size is an issue, I can make the second one a little longer. Then tell her to just get over and buck it up on the first one.

See? I'm not so sappy.

Labels:





Comments: Post a Comment